Kings of the Ring @ Grangemouth - Preview


Colin Anderson (Carnage) and Mescho Dunko (M-Mag) are teaming up to co-promote a show in Grangemouth Town Hall on the 19th of August, but for a variety of reasons, the card has been hit by a number of injuries and pull-outs, as has been happening all over the world in combat sports. It must be the summer. Despite these setbacks, the guys have managed to pull things together and still put on a solid card. Colin told me that they are looking at putting on one or two boxing bouts to compliment the Muay Thai and to cover a few of the pull-outs. There are a number of Carnage vs M-Mag match ups on the card, which Colin thinks will help make the show a bit more exciting, both for the fans and both sets of fighters who will get an extra boost from the friendly rivalry and the prospect of notching a victory up for their gym. I will post the full card when it has been confirmed.

I also spoke to Mescho who has the unenviable position of both promoting a show and fighting on it. I caught up with him after training last night to ask him a few questions. 

Muay Thai Scotland: You're having a nightmare with pull-outs, who are you still looking to match?

Mescho Dunko: The thing with pull outs is its always going to happen, no matter how many fights you have to start with or how many stand by fighters you think you have, it's going to go tits up at one point. But you're better getting told 4 weeks before than 4 days before that's for sure and especially since there's so many shows around at the minute. In the past I've had horrid situations where 4 fighters from different camps have pulled out within an hour of each other 7 days before the show, not good!  We've had a few pull outs for this show but have managed to juggle things around and get a few more guys in to still provide a great show with A, B and C class fights as well as juniors with a title fight to boot. At the moment we've got 12 matched with 1 or 2 more possibilities to add to the card.

MTS: How are you finding co-promoting with Colin?

MD: Colin and I are getting on great; think we're both kind of the same. We both run our own gyms, have a passion for what we do and I think were both easy going chilled out guys (although that may change as the show gets nearer). As I am fighting on the show I've tried to be a bit more involved with the organization, then Colin can take the lead on the day to let me focus more on the fight. Its worked out well so far, we both get an input on decisions so if I suggest something and Colin’s not up for it then it's a no go & and vice versa! So all is good on that front.

MTS: Good to hear. You are fighting on the show in a rematch with Chris Moir. You both had a bit of a war but that was a year ago. How much do you feel you have improved since that fight?

MD: Yeah, our rematch; I feel I've come on leaps and bounds since last year. I've been training basically all the time since then although I had a knee injury after I fought Lindzie Batey in August which slowed me down for a couple of months. Ii still trained through it though!  I've had 2 fights and two defeats this year but I am always learning and I feel a lot more equipped technique wise than when I fought him last time. My fitness has never been better, so I am really looking forward to this fight!

MTS: Did you see anything in his fighting style or game plan that you think you will be able to capitalize on this time round?

MD: Ah yes, but I am not going to talk about fight tactics and game plans! I will let you know after ;)

Thanks to both Colin and Mescho for taking the time to speak to me. Tickets are £25 with doors at 6:30 and the fights kicking off at 7:00. To buy tickets, call either Colin (07545306964) or Mescho (07961851486).

No comments:

Post a Comment